House of Harlow has the same hippie-esq but expensive look as designer of the line Nicole Richie named after her first daughter. When I fist saw a few pieces from the collection I wasn't very interested... but the other day I was online shopping and came across some of the pieces and they are actually something I would love to wear! Nicole Richie is one of my top choices in closets I would love to raid - now she never leaves the house with at least piece from her own line making people want part of her style staples. The best part is that you feel as though your getting a part of Nicole's style at a totally affordable price!
Just saw the preview of The September Issue, a documentary featuring Anna Wintour and the making of The september issue of VOGUE 2007 ("September is the January of Fashion"). I am beyond excited to see this movie. Set to be released September 11. Although Anna Wintour is a bit scary at some times (Miranda Preisley's charechter in the Devil Wears Prada is said to be modeled after Anna herself) she is also a very driven woman who deserves all she has. I personally find Anna an inspiration and even icon of fashion in our time. As she said in 60 minutes ["I just want to get everything done properly and if people fell that I am a bitch while doing that, well I'm sorry."] More on Anna later.
"Fashion is a religion, VOGUE is the bible."
This is the ultimate general and specific shopping list, for you to be the most stylish girl in town!
1) Lace Tights (to go under an oxford shirt or a basic denim dress to spice things up)(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4Bt8lMMAoOo/Ske1hoKukrI/AAAAAAAACII/mHG_MI6t9BA/s400/pyb6%2B.JPG)
2) White Sweatshirt (To go over any seemingly basic outfit to add a trendy piece)
3) Bodysuit or one piece bathing suit (can always wear UNDER a pair of shorts for a effortlessly trendy beachy look preferably colorful)
4) Cool Tea Gloves (Always chic or funky, Michael Jackson or Queen Elizabeth II)
5) Ankle Boots (Even though they seen super trendy, they actually are timeless - I mean think about it even though they are in ALL the magazines right now, if you look back 3 years ago they have a few pairs here and there to... and they set you apart - although I am really loving the over the knee look coming out now.)
6) Oversized Elastic Belt (Made to wear high-waited, and please people if you are a bit larger - you know who you are - this trend is not for you, it highlights your waist which is so perfect right now for all of those cute little dresses that seem to drown your perfectly toned body in bolts and bolts of printed silk)
7) Ripped Skinny Jeans (Just remember we want torn not slashed, slashed is trashy and much to '90s for my taste- These jeans are so edgy and spot on but also go with just about anything which, if you are like me at all, is very helpful when you have to choose an outfit in five minutes flat)
(http://www.denimology.co.uk/2009/05/taylor_momsen_-members-only-skinny-ripper-jeans7.jpg)- she looks amazing in these!
8) Knee High Solid Dark stockings (To wear correctly: either with a short girly skirt and strappy shoes (heels or flats) they look best if just pulled to height right UNDER your knee but if you aren't tall enough just over your knee- never have them in the middle of knee, this is just awkward. The other way to wear them is under tall boots with them just peeking out)
9) White oversized Tee shirt dress (over cutout tights with either a colorful elastic belt and top part bubbles over belt a bit OR with an embelished large necklace and a skinny belt matching shoes slung loosely around hips)(althouhg right now, neon colors would be even better)
10) Boyfriend Blazer (just really cool. makes anyone look chic and trendy. Great if you wear shorts that are shorter than the jacket under, as long as the shorts are visible so you don't look too sluty)
(http://www.polyvore.com/fredflare.com_boyfriend_blazer/thing?id=7756709)- BUY THIS ONE, I HAVE IT AND IT LOOKS AMAZING!
11) Leather Mini and Shorts (also edgy and flattering -this generation's pencil skirt - but this item MUST be paired with soft feminine tops/cardigans)
12) Menswear Inspired Vest (J.Crew does some great ones but Band of Outsiders has the best overall menswear for women brand - which may be expensive but worth it.)
13) Baret (Gives you something to look at when your having a blah day. Cute always. PRONOUNCE PROPERLY)
14) Yellow Skirt (What a great way to brighten up your day! I'm going to say solid to match so much but this season prints are in, why not try a creative new print by Marc)
15) Fringe Boots (Brown. I went all the way around New York City to try and find the perfect pair of fringe boots but I found only two I even considered but of corse they had none in my size! I mean really? NEW YORK CITY HAD NO GOOD FRINGE! I guess its because I am a fashion designer I always hear about trends and design the perfect way I want it in exactly my style and of course nothing is just like it, actually that happens a lot with me.. with a motercycle jacker, all to shiny or too loose in the arms or tight in the arm holes)
16) Oxford shirt (Lovely if worn oversized and over a tank top- unbuttoned and belted)
17) High Waisted Khaki Skirt (wear with belt over high waisted part, and have large short parts and cuffed)
18) Tie-dye Leggings (to be worn with thick black and white horizontal stripes and black shoes)
19) Lace Slip (To go under dress or skirt)
20) Easy Slip on Flats (to go with anything for an effortlessly chic and put together look)
21) Black Thin Cardigan (Belt it for cool fall day and a office appropriate look)
22) Long Loose Tank (To flow over skinny jeans or to tuck into a tight short skirt/shorts to bubble over for a girly-punk look)
23) Low Top Converse (To dress down an outfit for a less formal affair)(Not to be worn with anthing other that a dress or skinny jeans. White ones look back with shorts - cut off your leg visually)
24) Skinny Belt (to be worn with tunic and skorts, layer it over tunic loosely above hip level so it moves a bit when you walk)
25) Brooch (Bright loose thin material-ed top unbuttoned pretty low, then brooch together where very top button would be so you have a victorian inspired keyhole look. Wear only with skinny jeans or boyfriend jeans)
26) Black Skinnies (skinny jeans. Dark)
27) Bright Red Sweater (For those days you don't feel like dressing up, in this bright and forever 'in' color all eyes will still be turned towards you!)
28) Off white Tube scarf (drape it over a white T-shity, and bright red shorts and flats that are red, white and clear - wore this outfit in a dream last night, pretty weird i know.)
- Caroline Mason
- Caroline Mason: 21. Native New Yorker (and one time North Carolinian). Assistant to Derek Blasberg. Just a girl who is OCD about all things fashion, drinks way too much coffee, and has an affinity for late night talk shows and travel books. FIT class of 2016. Previously with Karla Otto PR, Lori Goldstein and Lester Garcia.
- ► 2015 (49)
- ► 2014 (51)
- ► 2013 (35)
- ► 2012 (66)
- ► 2011 (408)
- ► 2010 (489)